Saturday, April 28, 2012

spilling the beans to the fam-bam

2012.03.08

Even though we were only into our 9th week as mom-and-dad-to-be, we were ready to tell our immediate families our BIG secret. (I mean, we HAD been keeping it for over 4 weeks now. We were both ready to burst!)

As soon as we left our appointment with Dr. L, C$ and I started to drive to his parentals. It was about dinner time so we figured that they would be home. Also, C's dad was getting ready to go on a work trip out of the country and we wanted to be sure to tell them before we left. We showed up at their house and no one was home! How rude! We drove ALL that way to tell them, and they weren't even there waiting for us when they had no idea we were coming over in the first place! ;) C decided to call them, and in typical fashion decided that it would be way more fun to call them from their own phone. Long story short, they were at a high school basketball gas for the night so we would not be seeing them. C told his mom to give us a call the next day. (Since we were only ready to tell our families at this point, we knew that telling anyone in a public setting [including his parents at basketball game with their closest friends in earshot] was not going to keep our secret a secret for very long.)

Wife's Family
When we got home, I told my groom it was time to Skype with my family. After a few texts back and forth with my sister, we finally got my pops, mama, and sister on the Skype screen. As we sat and chatted for a few minutes, I was looking for my opportunity to interject the news. FINALLY (we had talked for maybe 3 minutes, but I had been patient for 4+ weeks. My patience was wearing thin!), we started talking about a potential girls trip to the Philippines this summer. I used that to segue into how I wasn't able to go and I wanted to explain why and yada yada yada, we are going to be parents this fall (as I stood up and help up the sonogram photo to my belly)! I didn't know what to expect but what happened was, well, it was weird. My mom and dad were clapping and smiling and I think my mom was yelling, and my sister?? Well, she had big fat alligator tears rolling down her face. THIS was totally unexpected. But, I have to say, really sweet. She was so exited to heat the news that her emotions got the best of her and all she could do was cry. When we hung up a little while later (after talking through plans for the summer, traveling back and forth, and swearing them to secrecy until Easter and then they could tell anyone that would listen to them), S and I exchanged a few texts:
     S: Probs the most excited girl ever!
     Me: To be an auntie? :)
     S: Yep! I feel like I am gonna explode with this secret! Don't work, it is safe with me!

Groom's Family
The next day after dinner, C$ and I made a trip to his parentals. They had just finished eating dinner and ware watching college basketball while they got ready to start a movie. When we arrived, they decided o just hang out and chat. C had an idea of how to tell his parents, but it was taking FOR.EV.ER. I sat and tried to be as patient as possible (Remember how impatient I was the day before? Yea, it was no better on this day) while I waited for him to finish beating around the bush. His parents were talking about a trip that they are making to go to South America in the following month and C interjected and the conversation went a little like this:
     C: Well, as long as your trip isn't in October.
     C's Mom: Our trip is next month.
     C: As long as it isn't in October.
     M: But it's not in October, it's next month. What's in October?
     C: Well, in October, we might need babysitters.
     ~~ silence ~~
     C's dad: Why will you need babysitters?
     M: (With wide eyes staring at me) You had better explain that to J because it just went straight over his head!

C's mom got the message right away, and a quick explanation later, his dad was on the same page too. :) They were super excited and happy and wanted to know everything. After we gave them the run down and showed them the second sonogram, we swore them to secrecy too. This was going to be more of a challenge for C's parents because most of the extended family for both his mom and his dad live within 30 minutes of them and gatherings are regular occasions. But they promised to keep our secret with us until they were in the clear at Easter.

Within a few days of talking to C's parents, we skyped with his brother and sister-in-law in canada, and gave his younger brother a call too. They were all very excited to be aunties and uncles this year and are all discussing vacation plans for this fall and winter to meet their new niece/nephew.

This is the first grand-baybay for both families so the emotions and excitement are at an all time high! We knew that we were excited to tell our families, but I don't think that either us of realized how exciting it would be until it was happening. Also, this had been our secret for a few weeks. I was a little hesitant to start telling people because this information that I had been guarding so closely would know be known to a few more people. But in the end, I knew that telling our families was not only the right thing to do, but that it was going to make this all that much more exciting and real. And speaking of real, it feels SUPER REAL now that there are other people that are sharing our secret with us :)


No comments:

Post a Comment