Monday, May 14, 2012

snuggling the snoogle

2012.05.11

No, I am not struggling with my spelling.

I first heard about the Snoogle, or the "Snoogs" as C calls it, from a few of my girlfriends. The purpose of this bizarrely naming thing is to help preggers ladies like myself sleep on their sides instead of their backs. The recommended position is to sleep on your left side because it increases blood flow, and as you get bigger and bigger (oh geeze...) it keeps the weight of the growing baby from weighing down on your back and spinal column while you sleep. The girls claimed that it helped them sleep better and prevented a lot of back pain. I have not been sleeping great, and even though I have been sleeping with a pillow between my knees, my back is still a little sore. So last Saturday night (yep, REAL exciting night. I know. And poor Chris knows too.) I drug Chris with me to Babies R Us after an evening BBQ at our friend's one-year-old's birthday party.

We walked into Babies R Us with a mission and determination (mostly because I know that Chris will only go to this store a handful of times during the pregnancy, and this was not going to be a trip that was wasted). I followed the signs and next thing I knew we were in the land of pregnancy pillows, wedges, and Snoogles. We quickly picked out our only option and headed toward the checkout. A few minutes later, we were on our way and headed home.

Once we got home, I started to get really excited about going to bed. Just so I could test out the Snoogle. The 500 pillows that decorate our bed were put onto the floor to make room for my new friend. This thing takes up my whole side of the bed. And much to Chris' dismay, doesn't leave much room for him. The Snoogs is shaped similar to a candy candy cane with an extra tail. I wrap the hook around my shoulders for my pillow, and shove the tail between my knees to support my back. It is the most awkward looking pillow that you have ever seen, but is INSANELY comfortable.
 




It is kind of like sleeping in a nest. I am imagining that this must be what my sister felt like when she was growing up and had all of her stuffed animals surrounding her as she slept.



Thankfully, the girls were right and my sleeping has improved dramatically. I have been getting much more time sleeping, and much more restful sleep as well. Its kind of amazing. But don't kid yourself, I still partake in as many weekend naps as possible. Because really, the uninterrupted naps are only going to last for a few more months.... then I will be woken by a baby's cries, instead of TLC, Lifetime, or Brave on the TV blaring in the background. But, Chris will probably be happy at that point that the "Husband Replacer" (his words, not mine) will hopefully be gone by then.

No comments:

Post a Comment